Only researchers with a current State of Michigan license and DEA registration can purchase controlled substances for use in research. The licensee/registrant must contact EHS to be placed on the list of approved purchasers before an order can be placed.

NOTE: A clinical practitioner (i.e., physician, veterinarian, etc.) shall not issue a prescription to themselves to obtain controlled substances to be stored or dispensed for research purposes.

Schedule I or II

Any person licensed and registered to conduct research with controlled substances in schedule I or II must send, in triplicate, DEA order form # 222. EHS does not have copies of this form. This form can only be obtained through the DEA.  Researchers must contact the DEA directly at 1-800-882-9539 or submit an online request. Schedule I and II controlled substances can only be ordered by the licensee/registrant.

Schedule I that is not commercially available

Requests to obtain schedule I controlled substances not commercially available must be made to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Schedule III-IV

Obtaining schedule III-V controlled substances may be purchased by contacting a commercial supplier. Schedule III-V controlled substances can only be ordered by the licensee/registrant or an authorized agent of the licensee/registrant.

Helpful Tips for Purchasing Controlled Substances