Food and Water Sanitarian

  • University Sanitarian Responsibilities

    Regular management of duties include:

    • Inspection, evaluation, and training is provided for staff in these service areas;
    • Conducting surveys and evaluations;
    • Collecting or coordinating the collection of various samples for appropriate test analysis;
    • Coordination and participation in the education of university employees to both guide and motivate them in maintaining high sanitation standards;
    • Provide necessary consultations for guidance and recommendations aimed at ensuring proper installation and operation of equipment and facilities; and
    • Maintain coordination within the University and with outside agencies.

Campus Food Service Operations

  • Overview

    The Food Service Sanitation program in the Office of the University Physician provides licensing, inspections, and consultation of campus food service operations to promote sanitary conditions for food preparation and service of fixed and temporary food service facilities. Investigation of complaints and disease outbreaks are also a responsibility of this department. Other program services for the prevention of food borne illness include certification of food handlers and education and training for staff in establishments that prepare and serve food. 

  • Inspections
    Two routine inspections are conducted each year for most facilities. In a routine inspection the University Sanitarian evaluates each facility for cleanliness, hygienic food handling practices, safe methods of food storage, preparation and service and other (critical) priority items. Violations designated as (critical) priority items are problems that have proven to be risk factors for food borne illness, such as food not being cooked, cooled or reheated to proper temperatures, or employees not washing hands prior to food preparation.

Guidelines for Providing Food at Campus Events

It is the responsibility of the University Sanitarian to approve and inspect food service operations occurring on university properties. We operate under a separate contract to perform Environmental Health Service on behalf of Ingham County Health Department (ICHD).

  • No Food License Required

    If the event serves only bakery items like donuts, bagels or cookies; whole uncut fruit such as apples or bananas; beverages such as cider, coffee, hot chocolate or water, no food license will be required. Groups are encouraged to handle food in a safe and sanitary manner. Suggested protection includes the use of clean coolers/beverage containers, and providing tongs, deli tissue or gloves to dispense food items. Individually wrapped foods are recommended.

  • University Fixed Food Service Establishments
    The University operates a number of fixed food service establishments on campus; they are licensed through the State of Michigan. Those facilities prepare and serve food within their units and occasionally have functions outside such as barbecues and picnics where food is prepared. These functions are approved under the facility's fixed food service license and do not require additional approval from the University Sanitarian. The foods served during those events are required to be handled in a safe and sanitary manner.
  • Licensed Food Service Establishments - Off Campus
    When food is prepared at a non-university, state licensed fixed-facility and served during the event no further license is needed. Note: No food preparation is occurring on-site. The foods served during those events are required to be handled in a safe and sanitary manner by proper maintenance of hot and cold temperatures and prevention of food contamination. You will note, for these functions a State Food Establishment License number is needed on your Campus Park and Planning Outdoor Campus Use form.
  • On-Site Food Preparation

    If food will be prepared on-site, such as a barbecue, licensure is required. Failure to receive approval is a violation of food safety requirements and will result in a closing of the food service function. The license can be one of two types:

    Special Transitory Food Unit (STFU) Licensed Facility
    This operation has received state-wide approval and may travel from location to location without further licensing if it has met minimum standards. It must have two inspections per year on record with their local health department. Also, it is required to contact MSU Food Sanitarian as to the intent to prepare and serve food a minimum of 4 business days before a specific event.

    Temporary Food License
    This license is issued by the Ingham County Health Department, and is required for events from 1-14 days in length. Completion of the temporary food establishment license application form is required. Minimum requirements include applying for the license at least 10 days prior to the event and licensing on the day of the event prior to operation.

The University Sanitarian provides training for Certified Professional Food Managers (CPFM) for Culinary Services and contract vendors associated with the University. To request information please contact the University Sanitarian.