Importing Research Materials - Formal Entry Requirements

September 18, 2019 - Kristen Bullard

It is highly recommended that you contact U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP), well in advance of your shipment or travel date, to discuss the need for a FORMAL ENTRY of your research materials. They will assist with that decision and provide further instruction. 

Common situations that require a FORMAL ENTRY include imports that are likely to need a permit or certification such as (but not limited to):

  • Most things presented with a USDA/CDC/FWS/FDA permit
  • Any human origin material or human pathogen material (will likely have CDC requirements)
  • Any wildlife material (will likely have FWS requirements)
  • Any livestock-related material (will likely have USDA/VS requirements)
  • Any plant-disease related material or items to grow (will likely have USDA/PPQ requirements)
  • Anything with particularly high-value, in large quantity, or is suspected to be misappropriated intellectual property
  • Anything that doesn’t have enough information/documentation for us to answer any of the above concerns
  • Anything that is not declared

CBP can require a FORMAL ENTRY for any research material.  Again we highly recommend that you contact the US CBP to discuss your import process requirements.