Traveling with Research Samples

May 10, 2018

International travelers returning to the United States with research samples are required to declare the research samples to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency (CBP). MSU travelers must comply with federal law as required by the research sample type.

There are 47 Partner Government Agencies (PGA), which may have a controlling interest over the sample type—including the Food and Drug Agency (FDA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA), and Fish and Wildlife Services (FWS), among others.

If your samples are subject to a PGA, knowing the import and permit requirements will avoid unnecessary entry delays, potential forfeiture of samples, and possible PGA enforcement actions.

If you have any questions about importing permits or the importation of hazardous materials, please contact EHS. Please see the University Logistics website for more information on traveling with research samples and general traveler support resources.